How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been divorced from my ex husband years but

Customer Question

Hi, i have been divorced from my ex husband for 3 years but he still has ongoing issues regarding access to our daughter and is taking me to court even though he has been getting all the times with her that he has asked for. We are due back in family court later this month but i cannot afford legal representation. I intend to represent myself but wondering if i can take my mum in for support and to take notes for me? I had a stroke 3 years ago so might find it difficult to take notes and concentrate on what is going on at the same time. Also, i live on disability benefits due to the stroke and wondering if i would be entitled to legal aid? The court date is 18th feb so im guessing it might be too late even if i am eligible? Carly
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
In relation to legal aid, you will only be eligible if you have evidence of domestic violence or child abuse from your ex-husband towards you or your daughter.
You will be able to take your mother with you to support you as a Mckenzie friend - who is basically someone who will assist and support you in court, and would need to inform the judge of this.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.