How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My wife and I are divorcing after 23 years. I came out

Customer Question

My wife and I are divorcing after 23 years. I came out of the airforce several years ago with a lump sum and monthly pension. She used the lump sum £35k to set up a business which went bankrupt. We have no children and her wage if higher than mine. Since splitting last June I have given her some money each month towards the rent on the house she is living with. She has recently told me she wants a divorce as she is seeing someone else. In view of the lump sum she had is she entitled to any of my pension as I need to plan my future and she has someone who is moving in with her thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Arising out of the marriage she would be entitled to seek financial relief from you (as can you). This will include consideration of all your assets, liabilities, income and pension. You would both need to provide each other full and frank financial disclosure so that negotiations can be done on the correct financial position as well as both of your reasonable needs.
Specifically in relation to your pension, it would depend on when this pension was accrued and you could have a strong argument that there only be consideration regarding the pension accumulated during the marriage and not any from before.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.