How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1373
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I split with my daughters dad when she was 4 and looked

Customer Question

Hi. I split with my daughters dad when she was 4 and looked after her on my own for 10 years. He had her once a fortnight and a bit extra for holidays. 2 years ago I met a new guy and moved about 60 miles away. My daughter opted to stay with her Dad and his wife as she wanted to stay near friends and in an area she knew. I now have her every other weekend.
Her Dad split with his wife just before Christmas and he and our daughter moved into a rented house until the house was sold.
At the weekend he started to say that he wanted our daughter to spends more time with me in holidays. She doesn't want to. Not because she doesn't want to see me but because she wants to be near her friends and she doesn't really get along with my new husband.
Also if I am at work she will at mine with nothing much to do.
Basically myself and my daughter are happy with the once a fortnight and maybe the odd extra day here and there.
Can her Dad make her come for longer and make me have her for longer?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please may I ask: - how old is your daughter?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is 16 now. 17 in July.
At the moment she is at college studying A levels
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying that for me.
Given your daughters age - a court is not going to entertain an application to decide who your daughter should live with and who she should spend time with.
That being said on a practical basis the problem you have is that if he literally turns up at your door with your daughter then you are not going to want to turn her away.
Hopefully the father will listen to your daughters wishes and feelings and understand that this isn't what she wants.
It's worth giving family mediation a try to see if they can help you all come to an agreement. There are lots of family mediation services and there will be one local to you. Just give them a call to get the ball rolling.
Kind regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So just to clarify he can't make either of us do what he says?
He is being very bossy about it all and saying I have to have her!!
Which no one else wants.
Please just confirm he can't make us.
Thank you
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
He definitely can't get a court order to say she has to stay with you on the extra days that he wants her to stop.
But ... He could just drop her off ... Which would leave you in a position where y you have to take her in or you shut the door and hopefully he might take her back.
Please don't hesitate to ask if I can assist you further.
Kind regards
Positive feedback gratefully received
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Please kindly remember to rate positively (by clicking a smiley face) so that we receive credit for our work.