How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My son is 9 years old and I divorced from his mother when he

Customer Question

My son is 9 years old and I divorced from his mother when he was 18 months old. Currently my son stays with me every Thursday night, and on alternate weekends he stays with me until Sunday night. On the last 2 occasions that he stayed for the weekend he asked me if he could spend more time with me. I emailed his mother on Monday advising her of our son's request, that we had joint responsibility for our son, and suggesting that we meet with our son to see if we could move this forward. Last night my son advised me that he could see me from time to time if she was busy in the evening. I have tried in the past to speak to her face to face on decisions relating to our son but she bluntly refuses to engage in dialogue. What remedies do I have.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
It is not appropriate that the mother is communicating such requests and arrangements through your son and she should be doing this directly with you. If she cannot deal with it face to face then you should continue to attempt to deal with it by text or emails.
Neither is it appropriate that she proposes you see him from time to time when she is busy in the evening as this provides no consistency for your son.
If this cannot be dealt with directly with her as proposed above, I would suggest you make a referral to an independent family mediator in her local area (you can find some here: who can assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement. If she does not attend mediation, or mediation does not settle matters you will be able to make an application to court for a child arrangement order under form C100 to your local family court, together with a £215 court fee. The court will then decide what is in your son's best interests.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.