How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My wife and I wish to transfer into our joint names a property

This answer was rated:

My wife and I wish to transfer into our joint names a property which she owns
Hi, thanks for your question.
The process would be a transfer of ownership and you can follow the steps here to do this:
You would need to consider whether you will hold the property as joint tenants or tenants in common. Joint tenants would mean that if either of you pass away, the property is automatically transferred to the surviving person. Whereas with tenants in common, you each hold the property in shares (can be equal or otherwise) and your relevant share would pass under your will, or if you do not have a will under intestacy rules.
To be honest, the usual conveyancing fee of £400 is a small amount to pay to ensure that the documents and procedure is all in order.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you