How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

In the early 90's my husbands wife filed in England.

Customer Question

In the early 90's my husbands wife filed for divorce in England. He lived in Australia and there was one child involved. The was no child maintenance requested, however, it was written in the divorce that if he came to England, he would be required to pay approximately 380,000 pound in a lump sum for maintenance of the child until he turned 18.
My husband and son are now in contact and would like to meet, the son 27 and lives in England. My question is this: Is this something that they could have, will, or can enforce if we were to come to England for the visit?
Thank you for your help and I look forward to hearing back from you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.Have you any paperwork relating to this at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have any of it in front of me at the moment, sorry.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
That is fine - do you know if there is any that exists?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sure that there are, my husband would know. I will ask him for them. We just want to make sure that he can safely come to the country to visit with his son. The son's mother basically ran off with the son, forged my husbands name on travel documents to get them both out of Australia. The mothers parents, brought her back home to England and started the divorce proceedings. The son is now 27 years of age.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
The reason I asked is that in fact it would have been very strange for there to be any Court Order that said this at all.In any event it is now too late for it to be enforced EVEN if (which I doubt) it ever existedHe can come to the Uk without worryPlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your time Clare. You have been a great help!Cindy
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome - I hope the meeting goes well