How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My daughter has just been informed that her ex is going to

Customer Question

My daughter has just been informed that her ex is going to fight to see his daughter. my granddaughter is just over 4yrs old and has never seen her father and has never had any money for her upbringing. He tried to gain access to her over 2yrs ago but after 3 court hearings he didn't turn up in court and the judge dismissed it. She is a very happy little girl who is settled and content and my daughter does not want any disruption in her life,what are the chances of him getting any access.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your message. If the father proceeded with another court application, he will need to explain why he did not engage previously and why he has not requested to have contact since then. If the mother has concerns about the level of care that he will give to the child then she can raise these and the court will assess whether these need to be investigated. However, the court's starting point is that the child has a right to have a relationship with both parents. Given the long period of time that he has not seen the child, it is likely that the recommendation would be for contact to initially start at a contact centre, and if there are no issues for this to gradually increase to take place in the community. In relation to child maintenance, your daughter should submit an application to the Child Maintenance Service who will assess his gross income and calculate the legal amount he should be paying. You can check more on this here: Please provide a positive rating if you found this helpful. I will not be credited with answering your question without a positive rating.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.