How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

How much will i have to pay

This answer was rated:

how much will i have to pay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have just separated , we have 2 kids aged 11 and 9 a boy and a girl . Last year i earned 19k
ive moved into a room at £650/month with bills inc , i have a loan of £197/month and credit card to pay off min payment £50/month
Hi, thanks for your question. Please confirm if you are married and if the income is a gross amount or net. Please also confirm how many nights on average your children will stay with you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That was £19k net income and the kids 2 nights at least I hope .
I'm self employed but I'll need surgery at some point soon .
Thanks. How much is your gross salary and are you married to the mother?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Married for 21 years. Gross was £32k
Thank you. In relation to child maintenance, based on a gross salary of £32,000 and the children staying with you 1-2 nights per week on average, your legal obligation is £84 per week. However, as you are married you will be both entitled to pursue an application for financial relief against the other in relation to any assets, property or spousal maintenance once a divorce has commenced. This is more complicated than child maintenance and is calculated based on reasonable needs, contributions and various other factors. Do either of you have any assets or property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No assets or property, my wife's income was £12k ,she has just been made redundant with no pay out as she only worked there 6-8 months
I'm worried she will go onto benefits as she has rented a house through her income plus my contributions
Thanks for the further information. As stated she is entitled to make a claim for financial relief but will need to disclose what her reasonable needs are and she will need to demonstrate that she is maximising her earning potential, which will include claiming any benefits and tax credits she is entitled to, and also demonstrate that she is actively pursuing paid employment. Given your relatively modest income it may not be likely that there will be a high liability for spousal maintenance as you will also need to consider your own reasonable needs. In the circumstances, if she begins to request financial support from you I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you