How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34890
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Me and my ex wife have a 4 year old daughter together. We were

Customer Question

Me and my ex wife have a 4 year old daughter together. We were married in 2009 our daughter was born March 2011. We separated in August that year but after an initial difficult period we were able to put our differences to one side and within a few weeks were both able to be part of our daughters upbringing. We got on better now we were not living under the same roof and over the coming years have had a very amicable relationship were my daughter lived with her mother but I'd see her very often usually 4 times a week. It wasn't until August last year 2015 that we agreed to a final divorce as we both wanted to find new partners. We agreed to make the process as painless as possible and opted for an on
online divorce package. We agreed my ex would have full residence of our daughter and at the time I was happy with the agreement as I was free to see my daughter and have sleepovers most weekends with me. At Christmas 2015 my ex told me she was thinking of moving to Sweden with a new partner whom she plans to marry in the near future. This has been a bullet from the blue and our previously amicable relationship is fast turning sour. I feel I in danger of losing my daughter completely. I need to know what my options are, initially to at least gain some legal rights to contact with my daughter and if I stand any chance of winning, of changing residence order to myself and having my daughter live with me. My ex partner is Chinese, now british national and has no family living here ( or Sweden ) I am uk born so have a large extended family all of which are greatly involved and care for my daughter. I would want to keep her in the same school she currently attends were she is doing really well. What should my initial plan be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to add - as stated my ex is Chinese her new partner Greek and the country they want to take my daughter is Swedish
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.In fact you both have the same rights and responsibilities for your daughter and neither of you has more right to dictate where she lives or what contact she has with each of you.Your ex has no right to remove the child from the Uk without your agreement or an Order from the CourtFrom what you have said it is very unlikely that that the court would grant her leave to remove the child to Sweden in these circumstancesYou may find this site useful starting point is to try and discuss matters with your ex using Family MediationClare