How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband had 2 children from a previous marriage (my step

This answer was rated:

My husband had 2 children from a previous marriage (my step children now aged 26 & 30). My husband was killed in an accident 16 years ago. Am I still their step mother by legal definition
Hi, thanks for your question. What is the purpose of you seeking this legal recognition? You will only have parental responsibility for step-children (ie. during their minority being able to make major decisions regarding their upbringing) if there is a parental responsibility agreement or a court order granting you parental responsibility, or if the children were adopted by you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HiI don't wan't legal recognition, quite the opposite. I want to prove that my relationship as step mother ended when my husband was killed. I can find legal definitions of what a step parent is but not when that ends if your marriage is ended either through divorce or in my case death
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I never adopted the children (now grown adults)
Thanks - without the aforementioned court orders or the children being adopted you have not had any legal recognition as a stepmother for the children.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you, ***** ***** just clarify your response.
If i had no parental responsibility via a court order and did not adopt, then my relationship as step mother ended on the death of their biological father.
Yes, that is correct Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much, most helpful. I have rated your response as excellent