How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My partner was married abroad in Pakistan and arrived here

Customer Question

My partner was married abroad in Pakistan and arrived here 6/7 years ago. He was divorced 2 years ago in the UK (Islamic way) although officially not married in the UK. No joint assets other than 3 children. Maintenance and contact arranged via court. We are now looking to getting married and buying a property together. Does ex wife have any claim over my partner other than maintenance? Maintenance is not disputed and adhered to. Many thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. An Islamic divorce in England will not be sufficient to end their marriage and your partner will need to pursue a civil divorce in England. You will not be able to marry until a civil divorce has taken place. Unless his ex-wife remarries or there is a formal court order regarding the financial matter, a financial relief claim against him will remain open indefinitely. What maintenance is currently in place, and is it for the children or for his ex-wife?
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.