How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have a 5 year old daughter that stays with me three nights

This answer was rated:

I have a 5 year old daughter that stays with me three nights a week and all day on Sunday. Her mother left when my daughter was nearly 2. We had been together for 12 years but were not married. I am on the birth certificate.
My ex goes away on holiday without my daughter, a few times a year, with her new husband. This week she is going away with friends, without her husband. She wants me to have my daughter extra nights, which I am happy to do. In fact, I would like my daughter with me every night that her mother is away.
My question is, as the father, can I say that I am having my daughter every night, while she is away, or does her step father have the right to overrule me?
I am not sure that he would even want to but would like to know who has the right to decide where my daughter is when her mother is away.
Hi, thanks for your question. As your name is ***** ***** birth certificate you have parental responsibility which grants you the right to be consulted regarding major decisions in her upbringing such as health and education decisions, as well as leaving the UK for holidays - the mother needs to consult you regarding this and you can object if it is reasonable. In relation to staying over with the step-father - unless he has also been granted parental responsibility by agreement or through a court order, he has no rights in relation to your daughter and this includes contact arrangements. If there cannot be agreement regarding contact arrangements between your daughter and the step-father it would be for him to pursue an application to court. Your daughter has a right to a relationship with you, which includes contact, and this cannot be restricted unless the mother has justifiable concerns regarding the level of care you provide to her. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you