How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have inherited a property after my father's death. I lived

This answer was rated:

I have inherited a property after my father's death. I lived with him for 14 years as his primary carer. It was my main residence. I didn't own or part own the property. Do I have to pay Capitol Gains Tax when I sell the property? If so, how much. Thank you.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhen did you inherit the property and who lives there now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My father died on the 30/11/2015 I still live her with my sister. I inherited 1/3 of the property I think on the day he died. Im a joint executor.Probate hasn't finished, but I'm concerned about Capitol gains tax. Will I get relief if this is my primary residence? I'm unsure. Thank you for your help. Marcus.
When do you intend to sell the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the summer of 2016. Do I have to own the property for two years to get relief ?
You have no need to worry about CGTYou will get relief on any increase in value between now and then because it is your primary residence Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much. Have a pleasant night. Kindest regards.Marcus.
You are most welcome
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you