How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner is from Latvia (me UK) we have 3 children.

This answer was rated:

My partner is from Latvia (me UK) we have 3 children. The eldest child is my stepson and has his biological fathers last name.
My stepson has been in the UK for 5 years now ( as been in a English school for 4 years)
His biological father as made no contact with are son in these 5 years including birthdays and Christmas.
When my stepson first came to England my partner tried to get his biological father to have at least some contact with him (by phone, Skype.) for nearly 2 years but he wanted nothing to do with them.
Do we still need are stepsons biological fathers agreement to change his last name.
My stepson is 8 yrs old and it is he as well as me and my partner that wants his name changed.
Thank you for any input.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you I am afraid that under UK law you do still need either the agreement of the father or an Order from the Court if you wish to change his last namePlease ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you