How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask michael holly Your Own Question
michael holly
michael holly, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7072
Experience:  BA Hons degree Law , Solicitors finals, 20 years experience, trained family law mediator.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
michael holly is online now

Mum & dad are 88 years old mum has dementia if mum has to go

This answer was rated:

Mum & dad are 88 years old mum has dementia if mum has to go into care can i avoid selling their property to fund a care home,
Firstly your mother would need to own or have a half share in the property.If your father still lives there the property cannot be sold and is disregarded for the purposes of calculating whether your mother should pay a contribution to her care home fees. This means she will be assessed only in respect of her income.Finally should the issue ever arise, for example on the death of your father, if he occupies the house and the property become a relevant asset she must be offered what is known as a Deferred Payment Plan. This allows the property to be used to pay the care home fees after her death as a charge is placed on the title register of the property . The charge simply sits there and is paid when the house is soldI hope this helps. If there are any further points please reply and I will be happy to respond.Best wishesMichael
michael holly and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you