How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am a woman that has been in a long term relationship (10

Customer Question

I am a woman that has been in a long term relationship (10 years), but we are not married. I have a 4-year old child with my partner. I am not considering leaving for another man, with whom I have an affair. I would like to know if my adultery (although I am not married) will affect the case my my custody of my child. Thank you. C
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PS. We did register the child’s birth jointly after 1 December 2003.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, major correction: I meant "I am NOW considering leaving for another man"...
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Adultery in itself is not really considered a child protection concern and should not impact arrangements for your son. Initially, he may not receive the news well and this could impact arrangements, but you should attempt to keep things amicable and make proposals for there to be arrangements for him to continue the relationship with his son. The father will have parental responsibility due to be registered on the birth certificate and therefore he will need to be consulted regarding any major decisions such as health, education and travel out of the UK.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.