James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace

My husband and I were divorced this January, following several

Customer Question

My husband and I were divorced this January, following several years of separation. We moved to Malawi 8 years ago with our (then) 2 year old daughter. My husband left Malawi in 2014 and our daughter remained with me. I have recently asked for financial assistance and received a flat 'no'. I have not blocked access since he left and on the times we have returned to the UK, she has stayed with him and he has also taken her twice on his own during school holidays from Malawi to the UK (and holiday to Europe). I feel that now he is becoming problematic (upon receiving a very angry email) and would like to know where I stand or what I do next to 1) apply for legal custody and 2) request financial support from him being that I am residing in Malawi. Thanks.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWere you divorced in the Uk or in Malawi?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare,Please see attached my decree absolut.
What capital assets are there and what income does your ex have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no assets. I don't know what income he has. He is an engineer and since leaving Malawi has been travelling all over the world as a self-employed contractor, I understand.
Does he have any assets in the Uk?Does he return to the Uk at all
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, not as far as I am aware. He returns in between jobs. When back he stays with his mother in Wales.
Where does he bank?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure. For many years, he was not allowed to have a bank account but I am sure that he has one now but I don't know the details.
Where are his earnings being paid into?