How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have my niece in my care under s 20, I am being put forward

Customer Question

I have my niece in my care under s 20, I am being put forward as a foster carer untill things are resolved, I have been told by the foster worker that I have to give up work to care for her as she is only 6 weeks old. I have two of my own children to support and would lose my working tax credits and my monthly wage. It's completely unreasonable. Please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Whether the child is placed with you as a long-term foster carer or not is a decision for you to make and the social worker cannot force you to do this. There will need to be a thorough assessment as to whether a long-term placement with you is viable, and this will include assessing whether you can sustain this financially. If you were to accept a long-term foster placement, there will have to be financial assistance provided to you. Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.The issue is actually in what basis you wish to have the child in your care.If you wish to receive the full foster care allowance then you will have to become a Registered Foster Carer and that will mean giving up work.However you can keep the child in your care under a S20 without being a Foster Carer - you can be a "kinship" carer - caring for a relatives child.However you might then not receive payment for it - other that the benefits you can claim such as Child Benefit and Child Tax credit.Please ask if you need further detailsClare