How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1431
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now
Family Law
This answer was rated:

My father has been presented with a petition and

My father has been presented... Show More
My father has been presented with a petition for divorce and has 11 days to sign it before it is presented. In it my mother issues 6 grounds for reason for divorce all of which she has done to my father over 50 years of marriage which she claims he has done to her. I would be grateful for advice on how he should proceed with this.
Show Less
Ask Your Own Family Law Question
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and I am happy to help you. Please may I ask: - does your father disagree with the reasons?- does your father agree that the divorce should proceed? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
He disagrees with the reasons. Is unhappy with the marriage and does want to separate. There is the matter of the house to resolve
Hello Thank you for your response. 50 years is certainly a long marriage and this must be difficult for your father. Your father could choose to contest the divorce proceedings. This can become very expensive if proceedings are contested. Judges will often consider that if one party has been petitioned for divorce that the marriage has irretrievably broken down and the divorce will often be granted in the end. If your father does want to contest - let me know as there are strict deadlines to contest and I will tell you how to go about this. If your father accepts that the marriage has broken down and does not want to contest the divorce - it is still open to him to not contest the divorce - but also at the same time not agree to the reasons that have been stated in the petition. If you father choose this avenue then I would suggest the following wording be used in his acknowledgment of service form: I disagree with all of the reasons stated by the applicant in her petition as to my unreasonable behaviour. I do however consider that the marriage has broken down and I will not contest the divorce. I do however reserve my right to defend each and every allegation made by the Applicant in her petition should the Applicant try to rely on such allegations in any other proceedings. Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you. Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to star rate my service so that I receive credit for helping you today