How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My friend's ex partner has demanded a pay off after they have

This answer was rated:

My friend's ex partner has demanded a pay off after they have split up. He lived in her house, paid no bills or contributed financially in any way for 9 years. He bought some furniture during that 9 years. They were not married. He excepts that he has no claim on the house, but says he wants a significant cash sum, but not said how much, this is apparently on the advise of a solicitor. Does he have a claim? Thanks
Hi, thank you for your question. As unmarried couple he has no claim towards her property and is oot entitled to any "pay-off" as hr has suggested. If they have children and he is their main carer then he would be entitled to pursue a claim for relief to support and house them, otherwise he has no right to any settlement regarding her property and assets. Please let me know if you have further questions about this. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating as I will not be credited with answering your question without one. Thank you
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you