How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1364
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My ex partner is refusing to pay child support. I went through

This answer was rated:

My ex partner is refusing to pay child support. I went through the CSA and we got as far as them setting up a deductions from earnings order. When he realised what I had done his behaviour became very threatening and he forced me to drop the claim. He owes me in total £1,250 from child maintenance arrears and other outstanding debts. He doesn't have arranged visitation with my child. My child is only 2years old and he refuses to tell me where he is living, he his also sharing a house with a woman with depression and alcohol issues. Can you please advise where I stand legally on these issues. Many thanks
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you. Please may I ask: - what is the current position in respect of the child maintenance service? - have you withdrawn your claim? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, yes I withdraw my claim because of his threatening behaviour. He said you would pay me directly but that never happened
Hello It is the Child Maintenance Service that has Jurisdiction in respect of Child Maintenance. If the arrears were accrued when the claim had been withdrawn from the CMS then they will not pursue this for you. The liability date is the start date of your claim. It is clear that your ex is being difficult with payments and he cant be trusted and therefore it is important that you refer maintenance back to the CMS so that they can collect payments for you. In relation to the father spending time with your child - it is the position of the courts that child are entitled to have a relationship with both of their parents unless there are child protection concerns. If you are not told were your child is stopping overnight and there are also concerns about his partners depression and alcohol abuse - then you do have a duty to protect and you should consider restricting contact to day time contact only until you can trust the father to safeguard. If the father isn't content with your proposals then he could apply to court for a Child Arrangement Order. Just because he applies to court - does not mean he is automatically correct and the court will listen too and investigate the concerns that you have. I note that your ex has been abusive towards you. If this has been in the last 2 years - then you should try and obtain domestic violence evidence to help you get legal aid and a solicitor to help you. Have a look at this link - in particular the GP letter. Tell you GP what you have been going through. If your GP considers that you are suffering with a condition such as stress as a result of your ex's behaviour and he fills in the letter for you - take this letter to a Family Solicitor so that they can check your means for legal aid. If his behaviour continues - call the police - as he should not be treating you this way. Please do not hesitate to ask if I can assist you further. Kindest Regards Caroline Please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you