How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I live and work in the UK and have US and EU (Dutch)

Customer Question

I live and work in the UK and have US and EU (Dutch) citizenship. My wife lives in Germany and has US and German citizenship. We are unofficially separated but need to move forward with divorce in the near future.
We have a 7 year old daughter as well.
I would like to know under what jurisdiction this family matter falls and whom to contact for legal advice.
Best regards,
David Brugman ***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. The divorce will be in the jurisdiction of where the petitioner is habitually resident or domiciled. If you have been living in England or Wales for at least theblast 6 months you can proceed with a divorce in England. You can find local family law solicitors to represent you by checking here: If you have any other questions about the process I am happy to assist further.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. Thank you