How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I've received a letter informing me that the legal aid society has applied to put a c

This answer was rated:

I've received a letter informing me that the legal aid society has applied to put a charge on my home in my ex husbands name I think this must be for his criminal trial this year following his conviction for sexually abusing his step daughters . I am due to have by divorce trial in May however at the Fdr hearing in December he was told by the Judge I would not be forced to sell the house and would only be getting a min amount if anything due to the gross misconduct through the marriage and the fact he's been convicted . Will the charge affect me trying to re mortgage if I have to give he any money or if in awarded the house and it's transfer to my name will it affect any future sale
Thank you
Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately the Legal Aid Agency charge on the property will impact your future ability to sell or remortgage the property as the charge is basically money that the Legal Aid Agency is entitled to upon sale of the property, whenever that takes place. The charge and amount he owes the Legal Aid Agency will accrue interest the longer it is on the property. I would highly suggest you write to him or his solicitors as this needs to be considered as part of the financial settlement and he should be meeting that charge elsewhere if you are awarded the property.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you