How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Can my wife and I separate/divorce without actually

This answer was rated:

Hi... can my wife and I separate/divorce without actually going through lengthy detailed financial/asset itemisation and division - putting a simple legal framework around this agreement and moving on? For example, can we simply agree that the joint 'big' items are split, e.g. the house, the car, furniture, but that our own personal assets/investments/pensions/inheritance etc. remain with the party who 'owns' them? We want to avoid as much of the court/legal process as is possible and complete this in an amicable manner.We will agree CS and maintenance outside the division of assets agreement.
Hi, thanks for your question. Yes, you are able to come to an agreement directly between yourselves without the need for court proceedings. However, you would still need to undertake divorce proceedings and once Decree Nisi is granted you will need to submit a formal consent order outlining the agreement to the court for approval. You will also need to each prepare a Financial Information Sheet (D81) to be submitted alongside the consent order as the court will need to approve any agreement you reach to ensure that it is fair for both of you, and any children.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you