How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Social Services are involved with my daughter and her partner,

This answer was rated:

Social Services are involved with my daughter and her partner, due to drug misuse Cannabis on the daughter, and restraining order on partner.
I am the maternal grandmother and I am looking into legal guardianship of the new baby how do I go about doing this and if awarded would social services remain involved
Hi, thank you for your question. At what stage is their involvement? Is there a child protection plan in place or have they escalated the matter to court?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a child protection Plan in place under neglect social services have been involved since March*****proceedings yet, they have said they were going to court for interim care order. I wish to stand for legal guardianship prior to this happening myself and my partner have both agreed to do this if we go ahead would social services remain involved and how long for
Thanks for the further information - have you been involved in the child protection process? Has there been a family group conference?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes we are involved in the Plan, and yes we have had conferences
Thank you - the Local Authority will need to undertake viability assessments on both of you and they could consider a voluntary agreement by your daughter for the child to be placed in your care until a final decision regarding placement is made - such agreements are only temporary measures. However, you should be aware that most local authority's would likely wish to issue care proceedings for there to be a court order in place to protect the child. As part of the care proceedings a decision will need to be made - either by agreement between parties, or by the court regarding where the child should be placed until a final court order. During the proceedings assessments will need to be undertaken which can include a special guardianship assessment on you and your partner to see if long-term care is viable.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you