How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1431
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My partner was asked to leave his family home 5 years ago.

This answer was rated:

My partner was asked to leave his family home 5 years ago. Although he and his wife don't live together, they are still married and he gives money to his children when they require it. Is he legally responsible for paying his wife alimony even tho they're not divorced yet?
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. Please may I ask: - are you referring to maintenance for the children or maintenance for his wife? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My partner is making ad hoc payments to his children, but no payments to his wife. She has asked for maintenance,but not thru legal channels.
Hello Thank you for your response. Please accept for my delay in responding to you. I can confirm that the Child Maintenance Service has jurisdiction in respect of child maintenance. Although maintenance can be agreed without referring to the Child Maintenance Service - you have to be aware that either your partner or his ex can refer the case to the CMS at any time. Child Maintenance is payable until a child reaches 16 - but this is extended until they are 21 - if they are in full time non advanced education. This link will give you an idea as to what your partners liability will be: If his ex was to make a referral to the CMS then your partners liability for any arrears would only start from the date that she referred the case to them and not before. In respect of spousal maintenance - his ex can only look to claim this if they divorce and this will depend on whether there is a need given the full financial position - it is not automatic that she will get this. Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you. Kind Regards Caroline Please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you