How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35088
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have seperated from my partner and my son whats to stay

This answer was rated:

hi i have seperated from my partner and my son whats to stay with me but she is telling me that she is going to get someone to come and take him from me can she do this
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further details firstHow old is your son and are you name don the birth certificateClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
5 yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have 3 children with her 2 girls and my son my son is asking me to let him live with me and i am so worried that i will lose him
Are you aware that there is an extra charge for the phone call?ho wold are the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they are 5 3 and 1
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i am aware that there is an extra charge for the phone call but i need to no where i stand as soon as possible
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi clare how is it looking for me can she come and take him sorry if i am being a pain just need to know where i stand on this thanks
Have you discussed how to share the care of ALL the chidlren between you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she said she is going to keep the kids and only let me see them when she say it ok
Where has she taken the other children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she as taken them to the family home but told me i am not a load to go there
So she is in the family home - where are you living?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i am at my mums she as 3 bedroom house
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my son will have is owne room and i will be shareing with my brother
Are the two houses close together and do you not wish to spend time with the other chidlren as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they are about a mile apart and yes i do wont to spend time with the girl
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but that will have to be sorted out in time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i need to no if i can keep my son with me or can she take him away from me i will be going to court to sort out seeing the girls just dont wont to lose all my kids its hard as it is trying to tell my son that he can go home if he wonts to but he is telling me that he wonts to live with me but i did tell his mum that i would have one child every nite after school then take them to school the next day and she could have them all at the weekend but she said she would let me have them when she says its ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so clare how is it looking for me
I am sorry but at five your son is too young to make the decision about what time he should spend with either parent.However your ex is wrong - she does not have the power to decide how any of the children share their time between you.You BOTH have parental Responsibility and the right to have the children in your care and accordingly you both have to agree on the pattern of the shared care - and if you cannot do so then the court will impose a pattern upon youThe starting point is to try and discuss matters with your ex using Family is no reason why your son should not spend more time with you than with his mother BUT given his age and the fact that there are younger children he will also be expected to spend part of every week with his mother - just as the younger children should spend part of each week with you.It is never right to turn a child into a tug of war rope and I suggest that you point this out to your ex.The only potential risk is that your ex will make an applictaion to the court for an urgent order stating that your son should be returned to her care - but you will have notice of this and provided you go with a clear suggestion for shared care I believe you could be successfulPlease ask if you need further details and we can discuss it by telephone if you still wish to do so.Clare
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you for your help
You are welcomeRemember you have just as much right to care of the chidlren as your ex does - BUT the court will expect any arrangements to be child focussed and to keep the children together for the majority of the time (not necessarily ALL of it)