How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner has 50/50 shared custody with her daughter's

This answer was rated:

Hi. My partner has 50/50 shared custody with her daughter's father (order agreed by a district judge) of her 2 year old daughter i.e. the child spends 7 nights out of every fortnight with each parent. She earns £23k per annum gross. Her daughter's father earns £65k+ gross per annum but is now refusing to pay child maintenance. Our understanding is that he will still have to pay some child maintenance, albeit not as much as before the order was in place (as the child lived with my partner for 5 nights a week and him for 2 nights a week). Could you confirm our understanding in principle please?
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.I am afraid that where the care of the child is shared 50/50 then under the latest Child Support Rules your partner's ex doe snot have to pay any Child MaintenanceAccordingly unless there is an assessment already in place then no he does not have to payPlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you