How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been cohabiting with my partner years, we have

This answer was rated:

I have been cohabiting with my partner for 2 years, we have a daughter who is now 2 years 3 months. She has decided she does not want to carry on relationship (think may be someone else, not sure) and told me to leave immediately, which I did and went to parents. She also left the home and went to mothers saying that she was giving up tenancy and moving back to her mums. Agreed that I would see my daughter etc - collect everything evening on way home from work, and look after her at my parents whilst my ex partner was at work (she works 4pm to 7pm). THis was our normal routine when together, and then also have alternate weekends.
However, the next night when I went to collect some more of my stuff, which she agreed to and she was there getting some aswell, she suddently went mad, shouting and screaming because I was taking too long (took all of 50 mins). Obviously we both did a lot of arguing, shouting etc. but finished with her saying that I will never see my daughter again and next time will be in court!! - I am do have Parental Responsibility as was present and signed the birth certificate and have always had an active part in looking after my daughter in every aspect. It has been two days and she will not even answer my texts I send each morning just asking if my daughter is ok, just a "fine" or "ok" surely is not too much to ask? Please offer advice as to what I should do next
Hi, thanks for your question. Just a bit more information required:-Are you in England or Wales?-In relation to the home - is it in joint names or only hers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
England and tenancy in her name, but all I want is contact with daughter - nothing else
Thank you for confirming. In the circumstances I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for a child arrangement order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if my partner will not go to mediation and then it goes down court route, would I likely get at least some regular contact.
Unless there are safeguarding concerns or child protection issues from you towards your daughter, the court will agree that there should be contact between you. If you pursue an application to court, a CAFCASS officer will be allocated to the case and the officer will interview both of you, do background checks (social services and police checks) and make a recommendation to the court regarding what is in your daughter's best interest. Your daughter has a right to a relationship with both of you and the starting point is that both parents should have contact with a child. The court will consider what is called the welfare checklist when making an order, which is this:The wishes and feelings of the child concernedThe child’s physical, emotional and educational needsThe likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decisionThe child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decisionAny harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of sufferingCapability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needsThe powers available to the court in the given proceedingsPlease provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you