How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have recently divorced and plan on signing over my spanish

Customer Question

I have recently divorced and plan on signing over my spanish villa to my ex husband.
He is demanding I pay bills that have accumulated on the property, he has sent me a copy of the said bills I notice that they are all in his name .
Am I within my rights to refuse to pay ?
Thank you
Sharon Kane
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** dd my best to help you but I need some further information first.Is there going to be a financial court order within a UK divorce?Do any of the bills relate to time you spent at the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Divorce in UK has already been finalised with no court action.
The bills are from the house over 2 years where I never attended however my ex continued to use it. I
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not been in the property since Nov 2014
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Then under UK law you are certainly not responsible for the bills and there is no basis on which you should agree to pay them.Please ask if you need further detailsClare