How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1484
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My wife and I have lived apart since 2011. Our relations are

Customer Question

My wife and I have lived apart since 2011. Our relations are amicable. We both have final salary-based pensions. Mine is larger than hers and, in the F/Y 2015-16 I paid her £704 per month (=£8448 per annum) so that our incomes would be equal. But, at a basic tax rate of 20%, that means that I "earn" £10,137 in order to pay £8448, a loss to me of £1,689. Is divorce and the establishment of an agreed maintenance allowance the only was to mitigate this loss?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you. If divorce is not something that is contemplated at this point in time then due consideration should be given towards a Separation Agreement being drawn up to confirm what is agreed between you. Whilst such an agreement is not technically binding on a future family court Judge - Judges are ordering in line with such agreements in they consider it to be fair. Family Mediation can also help you and your wife come to agreement in respect of the level of maintenance that should be paid. There are lots of family mediation services and there will be one local to you. Just google Family mediation in your area and give them a call to get the ball rolling. Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you. Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today