How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I left home with 2 children aged 2 and 3 after my husband used

Customer Question

I left home with 2 children aged 2 and 3 after my husband used verbal and physical
violence for nearly the whole of our relationship I came to my parents house to get away from him after he threatened me and tried to use violence to get money off me for gambling. He now wants to see the children for 1 or 2 days. As my 3 year old
really is more affected and uses language which my husband uses on me e.g. f.. c.
or stupid bitch. I try to give my children stability which they have at my parents
house where we as a family stayed for months before.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Your information does not pose a question - please would you confirm what you seek? In the meantime, as you have been subjected to domestic violence and this appears to have been witnessed by the children, it would not be appropriate to immediately allow him to have contact as he has requested. The children would have been subjected to emotional abuse due to the domestic violence and allowing his request may put them, as well as you, in harms way. You will need him to demonstrate commitment to the children and that his behaviour has changed. Furthermore, you will need to consider whether contact should initially take place at a contact centre so that the above can be demonstrated, as well as if a third party should be assisting so that you do not have to deal with him directly.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.