James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace

My father died 20 years ago, in his will it stated that the

Customer Question

My father died 20 years ago, in his will it stated that the house would be left to his wife until she also died whereupon it would be sold & divided between her two children (not my father's children) & my brother & I. My brother & I have lost contact with her over the years but we understand she is still alive. Recently though the house was sold &, I presume, another bought with the proceeds. My question is, can she change my father's will so as to leave whatever is left to her own children or, does my father's will still apply? Please could you tell me how do my brother & I stand?
HIThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWho were the Executors of your father's Will and what was the Exact wording regarding the house
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was one of the executors (I'm afraid I can't remember the other executor) &, as for the exact wording, again I'm afraid I can't remember. Sorry, not very helpful I know
You can obtain a copy of the Will here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have looked through the years 1995/96 & there is no mention of my father in either year. Is there anything else I can try?
Did you actually obtain probate of the Will?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On reflection it looks unlikely. I was offered my father's will to read at the time but, whether I was naive or too trusting (or both!), turned the opportunity down. That was the last time it has been mentioned until recently. Does this mean that the will was not legal &, if so, I imagine now my brother & I have no claim to any of my father's estate?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Did your father and his wife own the property jointly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't think so. They lived together for 10 years before they moved to the house in question
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
So in fact they may well have purchased that house in joint names?