How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34892
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother recently died. I have one sister and one brother.

This answer was rated:

My mother recently died. I have one sister and one brother. My mother willed her assets to the three of us with deductions for cash that she lent to myself and my brother. Her main asset is her home. My brother has lived at the house for about ten years and was latterly my mothers carer. He did not work and so accepted state benefits. He did not contribute anything towards the upkeep of the house. To realise the asset we need to sell the house. My brother seems so reluctant to find another address that I am I am wondering whether myself and my sister may need to have him evicted. Can we do this as a last resort?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWho are the named executors?Where did he live prior to moving in with your mother?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The executors were originally myself and my sister but I have relinquished my part as I live too far away for convenience so now it is my sister. My brother lived in Lavenham in Suffolk prior to moving in with my mother. He was 'dumped' there by his now ex wife when they travelled up for my wedding.
Will he have sufficient funds to purchase an alternative property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he won't have enough to buy a place but more than enough to rent. He will receive about 70k.
How much would a cheaper one bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy (including any shared ownership schemes)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the same general area a one bedroom property would cost anything between 130k to 200k. He has already stated that he wishes to stay in the area for a year or so and then move away.
The problem you potentially have is that your brother could make a claim against the Estate based on the fact that he was dependent on your mother for his Housing needs.Even if this is not in the end successful it will cause a great deal of distress delay and of course costs to the estate which will not be recoverable.This means that you and your sister do need to take a carful approach in this matterHe would have to make a claim within six months of probate being granted, and on that basis you may feel that a delay in taking action until AFTER that date would be wise.There are then two options.the property can be transferred into your joint names and you and your sister can then apply to the court for an Order for sale; or your sister as Executor can apply to have him evicted prior to a sale by the Executor.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you