How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My daughter has in the last few months come to live with myself,

Customer Question

My daughter has in the last few months come to live with myself, the natural father. My daughter is 18 in June, and has just started an apprenticeship, which pays £3.30 per/hr. It is a 12 month position. I do not claim child benefit, but would like to know if i can make a claim for child maintenance from my daughters mother, who contributes nothing towards her daughters upbringing. The mother only allowed my daughter to come to me when she came out of college, because she knew she wouldnt be able to claim child maintenance from myself.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm if your daughter is on a government approved training course/apprenticeship? You can find out if it is approved here: If she is, then you will be able to apply for child benefit as well as claim child maintenance from the mother. The child maintenance is calculated based on the mother's gross salary and how many nights on average your daughter stays with her, and if the mother has any other children in her care - if you provide me these details I can confirm what the legal amount she has to pay is.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.