How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I divorced my husband 9 years ago in the divorce procedures

Customer Question

I divorced my husband 9 years ago in the divorce procedures I had to give my ex 25,000 to move out I kept the house due to my 2 sons and paid interest only I was to keep it for 4 years then had to sell it but my youngest son took very ill not long after his dad moved out we then got back together and he moved back in been back nearly the 9 years I was told buy the court that when I sell he was to have another 30,000 we are no longer getting on and I would like to know if I still have to give him that money due to him only moving out for 3 months when we first divorced and then living back with me all this time I pay the actual mortgage now and have done so for 8 years I cannot get that money on my mortgage due to my age.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:1. Is there a court order in place - if so what is the exact wording of the order?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is a court order in place and it said that I was to give my ex 25,000 which I did I was to keep the house for four years then my ex can make me sell up but he only moved out for 3 months and came back and has lived here for just over 8 years now he now says he wants his money so I need to know do I have to pay him the 30,000 even though he has lived here all this time
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the further information - why did he move back in? The court order appears to be a lump sum order - initially for £25,000 and upon sale of the property a further £30,000. Unfortunately, this is binding as it is ordered by the court and there is no provision to apply to court to vary lump sum orders.I appreciate that this may not be the answer you had hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.