How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I separated from my wife a year ago and we have applied for

This answer was rated:

I separated from my wife a year ago and we have applied for a divorce. We have two children who share their time between the two off us. Both children have passports. Can she legally demand that she has them?
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are you and the children in England or Wales?-How old are the children and what are the arrangements for them to be with both of you?-Are there any court orders in place regarding the children?-Who is receiving the children's benefits (if any)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11 and 13 years old
I have the children on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday night and alternate Saturdays. I also have them for a whole weekend once a month.
She received the child benefits
Thank you for confirming. It would be usual for the person who receives the children's benefits and who is their main carer (usually the person who has them for the majority of the time and deals with day to day issues) to hold their legal documents, but she cannot withhold them from you if you require them for reasonable reasons and if you provide her reasonable notice.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you