How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My partner and I have been together 28 years. She has become

This answer was rated:

My partner and I have been together 28 years. She has become o control freak and tries to direct all I do including trying to cut me off from family. We are both pensioners. We both have our own savings. The house is in joint names. No trouble so far. I have a works pension, she does not. what claim would she have on that pension if we decided to part?
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information to fully assist you:-Are you/were you married to each other?-What assets do you both have, and are they in joint or sole names?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not been married.Both have our OWN savings of about 70k each in separate bank accounts.
What about the home you are residing in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is in joint names valued at about 325k.
Thank you. As you are not married, and without any formal agreement in place she will have no claim to your pension or any of your assets. In relation to the home she will legally only be entitled to her share - so if this is held as joint tenants then it will be equal shares. If held as tenants in common then it will depend on whether it is equal shares or not.You should also be aware that if the property is held as joint tenants then your share automatically passes to her upon your death. If you wish to bequeath your share to someone else then you will need to arrange for the title to be changed from joint tenants to tenants in common and ensure that you update your will to reflect your intentions.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you