How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1436
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My daughter has decided to join the scientologists and has

This answer was rated:

My daughter has decided to join the scientologists and has banned her family from seeing her son, my grandson. What rights do we have
HelloWelcome to Just AnswerI am a Solicitor and will assist.I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing.Please may I ask:- how old is your grandson?
- have you previously had a good relationship with your grandson?
- any concerns about the care being provided by your daughter to your son?Kind RegardsCaroline
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My grandson is 7 years old and he has a very close relationship with his family especially me. We have had many difficulties with Kirsty my daughter and feel she has some kind of mental health problem. She has now decided to join scientology and because I do not agree with them, neither does her dad or nan or sisters, she has denied us seeing Brandon. Brandon is very close to us all and we feel he is being "Brainwashed" by this cult too.
HelloThank you for your response.I will prepare you an answer now. This will take me about 10 minutes.Kind RegardsCaroline
My sincere apologies for my delay in responding to you.
In your circumstances I considering that you should apply to the Family Court for a Child Arrangement Order to seek to be able to spent time with your grandson.
The first step to obtaining an order to secure the time that you spend with your grandson is to refer your case to family mediation.
There are lots of family mediation services and there will be one local to you. Just google Family mediation in your area and give them a call to self refer and get the ball rolling.
Mediation will help you and your daughter try and agree a plan without the need for court. If, however the mother will not engage in mediation or agreement cannot be reached – then the mediator will sign the form that you need to be able to apply to court.
You cannot apply to court until you have at least attempted mediation first.
The court application form (C100 Form) would be sent to your local family court. The court fee is £215.
Grandparents do not have the automatic right to make an application and therefore you will need to complete Form C2 at the same time – which allows you to then ask the courts permission to make an application.
The court will then make an order based on your grandson’s best interest – it is positive that you have previously had a good relationship with your grandson.
You should also detail in your application to the court any concerns that you have in respect of the mother caring for your grandson. The court will consider whether it is appropriate to make further investigations in respect of your concerns.
If something happens that makes you consider that your grandson is not being cared for properly – then you need to tell social services so that they can investigate.
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can assist you further.
Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I will follow your suggestions tomorrow.
Best wishes
Gill Garard
Your welcome Gill Just let me know if I can help you further. Kind Regards Caroline