How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1370
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I have been separated from my ex partner years. We have

Customer Question

I have been separated from my ex partner for 3 years. We have 1 daughter who is 4 years old. My ex partner has asked for my personal details to renew my daughters passport so they may visit her parents in Russia this summer. My ex partner is Russian by birth, holds a Russian passport and is a British citizen with a British passport. My daughter is British by birth but was also granted Russian citizenship and is in my ex partners Russian passport along with her own British passport. There is a joint shared residence order in place and I have parental responsibility. My daughter can leave the country on her mother's Russian passport but cannot retun without her British passport.
Due to her mother's behavior over the last 12 months I am hesitant about the situation. Do I have any options
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. Do you think that the mother is not going to return to the UK? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has travelled to Russia for the last 3 years and returned, however as mentioned previously it is the mothers behaviour and deceat over the last 12 months that have raised this question of weather to continue trusting her with returning our child even though there is a shared residence order in place
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello If the mother was genuinely intending to return then the court would let her go. If you have concerns - then you need to look at seeking a prohibited steps order from the court. Have you asked the mother to provide return flight details? The consequences for mum not returning are risking child abduction charges and a prison sentence if found guilty. Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would an objection application to the UK passport office be the first step. If unsuccessful, then a prohibited steps order to the courts
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
HelloAn objection with the passport office won't resolve the issue.If you have real concerns she isn't going to return then it is a prohibited steps order you need to pursue.You need to request full travel details from the mother. If they are not forthcoming then you need to seek a PSO.Kind RegardsCaroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Travel details are usually provided after the ex partner has been reminded. Thank you for the advice
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in responding to you today.You should always insist on copy of flight details etc - if they don't arrive and you are concerned - the court can deal with a PSO case urgently if needs be.Let me know if I can help you furtherKind RegardsCaroline