How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1442
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I have a daughter who entered same sex relationship and

This answer was rated:

I have a daughter who entered same sex relationship and started living with her partner in a property jointly owned by me ( 25%) and my daughter ( 75%) . I have other assets jointly owned with my daughter . The educational and income gap between my daughter and her partner is huge. I feel my daughter manipulated and I'm afraid she can do some legal arrangements to gift our assets to her partner . How I can protect her ? Her partner is willing to sign a cohabitation contract.I also bought two cars for my daughter which are on her sole name . please advise. thanks .
HelloWelcome to Just AnswerI am a Solicitor and will assist you.Please may I ask:- is a civil ceremony contemplated?
- in respect of the property - has the partner paid a deposit, mortgage payments or renovated the property?Kind RegardsCaroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no ceremeny for the moment but they may register their union as a civil partnership . the property has been fully paid by me . Partner has paid nothing .
HelloThank you for your response.As things stand - your daughters partner has no claim in respect of the property - as long as she doesn't pay a deposit, the mortgage or add value by renovating. The partner will also have no claim in respect of anything else that is yours or yours daughters - such as the cars etcDo be aware that if they do enter into a civil partnership - then the above advice changes significantly. Should either later look for a dissolution of the civil partnership then they can also make a claim in respect of their spouses assets.The best course is a Pre nuptial agreement. Whilst not technically legally binding on a later family court Judge - Judges are ordering in line with such agreements as long as they consider it fair and 1) full disclosure of the assets took place before signing and 2) legal advice was obtained in respect of the effect.It's not fool proof but if both steps taken - you can be confident.Please do not hesitate to ask if I can help you furtherKind RegardsCarolinePlease kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Caroline . Do you think just answer can help with a pre nuptial contract ? Thanks and regards
HelloIn respect of a pre nup - your best instructing a local solicitor as this will need to include the disclosure aspect.Dependant on your area - about 2 hours of a solicitors time for taking instructions and preparing and an hour for a different firm to give independent legal advice.I wouldn't suggest a template as I wouldn't want you to risk a possible later family judge not thinking the steps had not been followed.Kind RegardsCaroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Caroline.
Kind regards
Your welcomeKind regards