How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1373
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I am getting remarried in August. When giving notice of marriage

Customer Question

I am getting remarried in August. When giving notice of marriage at the Registry Office in Saffron Walden, I am advised we have to take certain documents, most of which are fine (i.e. Decree Absolute , original driving licence, original passport, and it says if I've changed my name by deed poll, to take a copy of the deed along.
Well, I haven't changed my name by deed poll, but I have been known by my original maiden name for the past 13 years, and done all transactions, financial and all. Just checking if I need to do anything in that regard?
Thanks. Lis
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
HelloWelcome to Just AnswerI am a Solicitor and will assist you.Please may I ask:- have you only ever been known by your previous married name and your surname?
- or have you been known by more than these surnames? Such as married more than once?Kind RegardsCaroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Caroline. I was known by my married name (Marsay) for 3 years from 2000 to 2003.. although didnt change any bank accoints etc to that name... and my passpoŕt was only in that name for a short while before i changed it back to my maiden name of Street. Havent been known by any other names at all. Also i cant find my marriage cert... ( i have decree absolute tho) i wont need the marriage cert will i?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for your response.It is well accepted that a woman is likely to revert to her maiden name after obtaining decree absolute and official agencies will often happily accept a copy of the decree absolute and your birth certificate to confirm this position.Problems only tend to arise when there has been more than one name change, such as more than one marriage.I note that you have only ever been known by your married name and maiden name - so this won't cause any problems for you and your decree absolute and birth certificate will be fine.You won't find your previous marriage certificate - as this would have been sent to the court during the divorce proceedings - so you won't need it - your decree absolute will be fine.Enjoy your big day!Kind RegardsCarolinePlease kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you're a star, thanks Caroline
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Your welcomeKind RegardsCarolinePositive feedback is gratefully received