How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1441
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I am looking to get equity from my house. Big problem my boyfriend

This answer was rated:

I am looking to get equity from my house. Big problem my boyfriend left me 23 years ago. I am unable to find him I have paid and lived in the house by myself how can I get him off the deeds. Thank you
HelloWelcome to Just AnswerI am a Solicitor and will assist you.Firstly - please may I ask - were you and your ex joint tenants or tenants in common?Kind RegardsCaroline
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to phone me thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure if I have completed right not sure the answer is joint tenants I have requested a phone call thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I understand you can not call not sure difference between joint and common thanks
HelloThat's ok - I can call in about 15 mins - is this ok?Kind RegardsCaroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes thank you
I will call nowKind RegardsCaroline
HelloIt was nice to speak with you today.As discussed a few follow up points for you.Firstly - you do need to find out if you are tenants in common or joint tenants.If your home is registered with the land registry you can down load a copy of the title register using this link:!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/It costs £3
If the title deed has this sort of restriction - then you are likely tenants in common rather than joint tenants:No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the court.
Here are a few links for trace agents:
If he has passed away:AndIf you are joint tenants - the property passes to you automatically under the right of survivorshipOrIf you are joint tenants - you would need to communicate with the executor of his estate
If he's located1) make contact - ask him to agree to sign the property over to you
2) attempt mediation to agree his shareIf above failsApply to local county court.
Using claim form part 8. Court fee is £280.Ask court to make a declaration as to your respective interests in the property. So you can buy him out and the property be transferred to you.Let me know if I can help you furtherKindest RegardsCaroline