ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My husband is not putting my name on any of his assets, Eg:

My husband is not putting my name on any of his assets, Eg: properties, cars, shares and pension. And his is going make a WILL and stating that he will leave all his assets to his brother's son. What is my right? How can I claim my right in this case?
HelloWelcome to Just AnswerI am a Solicitor and will assist you.I am a Solicitor and will assist you.I am sorry to hear about what your husband has said.Please may I ask:- how long have you been married?
- is divorce contemplated?Kind RegardsCaroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we have been married for 3 years and we are not divorcing.
HelloSorry my answer just disappeared - I will retype for you now.
HelloIf your husband was to pass away and you were still married - and he made no provision for you - then you are able to make a claim to contest the will under the Inheritance Act.
A claim under the inheritance act is roughly based on a hypothetical divorce.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we have been married for 3 years and we are not divorcing or separating.
If you did divorce - then all assets are matrimonial assets - no matter whose name they are in.
The starting point for division of assets is normally 50/50.
If therefore your husband was to pass - and no provision was made for you - then you should contest the will immediately.
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can assist you further.Kind RegardsCaroline
Please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today