How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Good Evening. I have owned my house out right having been

This answer was rated:

Good Evening.
I have owned my house out right having been lucky enough to pay off the mortgage in full and therefore have the house deeds in my possession. There is a good chance in the very near future my girl friend will soon be moving into the house. Are you able to advise if she will have any claim on the house at some point in the future should the relationship fail.
Thank you for any information you may be able to provide.
Best regards, *****
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.How old are you both and are there likely to be any children?What financial contribution will you make?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 54 and my girlfriend will be 40 in August. We do not have and do not intend having any children. I am currently making all the financial contributions as at present I am the only person living in the household.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Clare,Are you able to provide a response to the above?
Sorry I worded that badlyWhat financial contribution is it planned she will make?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A minimal contribution towards normal household bills, maybe around £200 per month
In that case so long as what she pays is below the local rental rate for an equivalent property then she will not have any claim.You should not accept any payments towards any alterations or improvements - or let her pay towards the mortgage.Should the relationship fail you will need to give her "reasonable written notice" to leave.At least 28 days - 56 is better.If you later get married then none of the above applies!Please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your quick response. I will certainly use your services should I need them in the future.
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well