How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Can you tell me why my husband's ex-wife would need to

This answer was rated:

Hi - Can you tell me why my husband's ex-wife would need to have my husband's copy of their decree absolute and divorce settlement papers ? She has had them for a few weeks now and is not remarrying and all 3 of the children are now in their early 20s. Is it possible that she could claim on his estate at all for the time they were married ? They have been divorced 10+ years now. Thank you, Lynn
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Was there a court approved financial settlement?-Has she remarried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a court approved settlement and she has not, as far as we are aware remarried although she does co-habit with a partner.
Thank you - if there was a court approved settlement, then there is likely a term that the parties can no longer apply to court in relation to any financial claims, save in relation to possible variation for periodical payments (eg. spousal maintenance) - was there such provision in the order? It could also be that she intends to remarry and she will require the Decree Absolute to do this.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you