How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I've been together with my partner years, happily leaving

Customer Question

I've been together with my partner for 4 years, happily leaving together in his property for 1.5 year now. We haven't got plans to get married yet. I have a son at 24, he's got 2 children, from previous marriage.
Question: I'd like to know whats our position, If anything should happen to one of us, do we inherit automatically each other's accents, or do we need to make a will? What's the difference if we are married?
Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was meant to read "Assets ", sorry fit the spelling !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Predictive text from iPhone
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. If you do have assets it is always best to make a will. However, as you are not married your partner does not automatically inherit anything whereas if you were married and had no will your husband will automatically inherit your estate up to £250,000 (and personal possessions) and anythig over this amount is shared 50% with your husband and 50% with all the children.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Just to add to the above,If your partner dies tomorrow you would not have the right to organise his funeral unless his children agreed; you would have no right to remain in your current home, unless his children agreed and unless the accounts were in joint names again you have no right to them.Since you have lived together for less than two years you would not be able to make a court applictaion for provision from the estate.If you are married all of that changes.If you do not marry and live together for more than two years you will have the right to apply to the court for some provision to be made from the estate.All of the above equally applies to your partner
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.