How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I'm moving back to UK after 15 years overseas most of these

Customer Question

I'm moving back to UK after 15 years overseas most of these in Singapore. I've been supporting my 'separated' wife in Singapore for the past 9 years however we have not legally divorced. We have two children aged 10 and 13.
I stayed legally married (but separated) for these 9 years, as divorce overseas where I held an employment pass, would leave her without a dependency pass had we divorced, which would then have created problems for my children as she would not have been allowed to stay on in Singapore these years, without oe.
I'm now wanting to permanently return back to UK as such want to divorce as she will also return to UK therefore no longer will be in need of a dependency pass. I have a few questions:
1) We live in Singapore and have done our entire separated life. Is it in my best interests to divorce her here in Singapore (where I have financially supported her for 9 years) or divorce her in UK where we will be moving back to?
2) I want to have legal Care & Control for our children when we return to UK as I have extended family and support network there, where my ex wife does not. How difficult in UK is this for the father to win this?
3) Do I need to pay maintenance to her for the rest of her life, irrespective of my having Care & Control, or does my having Care & Control mean I do not need to pay maintenance to her?
4) If I have Care & Control, does she need to support me with child maintenance?
Many thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is taking a long time. Can anyone help on this?
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion firstWhat nationality is your wife?How has the care of the chidlren been shared between you until now?What is your financial position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare,
My wife is British
Monday night here. Tuesday there, Wednesday here, Thursday and Friday there, Saturday here, Sunday there.
Financial position? Self employed.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Sorry - mean what capital and income do you each have
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Clare,
My ex wife is solely dependent on me currently as she has no capital and no income. She resigned from her job November 2015.
I also have no capital / savings. My income is made from my own company (I'm self employed). My income fluctuates I make ends meet but with little to spare each month, I currently support all schooling (this is private in Singapore) housing and expenses for my children at both their mother's residence and my own.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
How will you finance yourself when you are back in the Uk?