How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

And thank you time to read this. My ex

This answer was rated:

Hello and thank you for taking time to read this.
My ex partner has moved back to Hungary and had taken our son with her.
Before she left she got me to sign an agreement put together by a translator. One in English and one in Hungarian.
I signed it in the presence of two of my neighbours, who also signed it.
Couple of questions,
1) is this agreement legally binding?
2) I was put under pressure to sign as I had no idea what it was until presented with it, with two neighbours watching over me
3) I signed it without consulting a solicitor
4) I'm self employed and my earnings have dropped dramatically
What I'd like to know is, before I send a letter saying that my earnings have dropped and I can no longer sustain the same amount of maintence payments. I'd like to offer a lesser amount.
Would I be in breach of the agreement and could a court order be put against me?
Hi, thank you for your question. Please can you confirm the details of the agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I've taken pictures of the agreement. Hopefully you can see them clearly.Barry
Are you only contesting the child maintenance agreement? What was that figure based on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only want to drop the money by half.
The amount was what she wanted to live in Hungary without having to work. £200 is a months salary there. I just want to make sure I'm not taken to court if I change the amount.
Thanks for confirming.The agreement you have entered into is not something that can bind you and she will not be able to enforce it in Hungary as it is not a court order. If it is a court order regarding child maintenance then she would have been able to apply to the Hungarian Courts for a REMO (Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order), however, as this is only a family-based agreement it will not be enforceable. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for your swift reply I'll do just that. Regards Barry