How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1371
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My fiancee has been sent letters by court asking her if she

Customer Question

My fiancee has been sent letters by court asking her if she would like to take parental responsibility of her ex's child. How is this possible when they were not together when he was born? They started the process of looking for a donor but this process was never completed and my partner had ended their relationship before the child was conceived. On what grounds would my partner be being asked to take on parental responsibility of this child? Does this mean she is seen as the child's second parent (mother) in the eyes of the law? At the moment the child has one parent named on his certificate as it is thought that the mother carried on the process of artificial insemination behind my partners back after they had broke up.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. Please may I ask: - do you know who is the applicant in the proceedings? is it your partners ex? or maybe the local authority?- where your partner and their ex civil partners have gone through a ceremony? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Caroline,As far as I know the court have contacted my fiancee because her ex had originally said that the father of the child was someone else. He had then asked for a paternity test and it turned out that the child wasn't his. Instead (I assume) she had gone ahead with the donor application she'd started with my fiancee but done it by herself which is where my partner has now become involved. The local authority have asked because the person who originally thought he was the father mentioned my finacee's name (because of the donor application) so they have now contacted her for parental responsibility. They were not civil partners.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Thank you for your response. There is no legal presumption that your partner is a parent. If your partner wants no involvement - then she can simply contact the court, say by way of letter and explain the circumstances. If the local authority are involved - it may be because they have concerned about the mothers ability to care. As such it is prudent that all enquiries are made in respect of alternate carers. Your partner is under no obligation and she simply needs to confirm her position to the court. Let me know if I can help you further. Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today